July 27, 2009

week two in review

THE COME BACK KIDS circa 2009

If week two was any indication, I’m getting the feeling that each week here is going to be better than the last. I still LOVE it here. I’ve settled into a rhythm now for my weekdays with work, play, dinner, play, work out and sleep. Weekends are a glorious grab bag of hobnobbing, partying, tom foolery, and the like.
 
Work: Is great. Last week went by in a blink. I’m picking up on things pretty quickly and it helps to have such awesome people to help out. People have finally stopped coming by to stare at the, “Girl from up north with the colored eyes.” The hospital only has about 370 employees so it hasn’t taken long to learn names and faces, which helps me help other people. I’ve been doing a TON of research and statistical analysis. Microsoft Excel and I have this intense love/hate relationship. I hate spreadsheets and all that they contain but I love organization and details. So…it’s pretty fun for the first six-some hours and then I’m cursing Microsoft softly under my breath. I only take a half hour lunch break now (so I can get off earlier to go to the LAKE!) and I usually talk to my mom and Spence for a majority of it. TGS will appreciate the fact that I ate two turkey hot dogs,just turkey hot dogs, for lunch today (:
 
Play: Unfortunately, I only hit the lake once during the work week with the Towals and my new newlywed friends, Jay & Amanda Page. Amanda is adorable. Ohmygosh. I dilly-dallied poolside a couple other afternoons and did some cooking of dinner and errands the other nights. Thursday, Jake, Stef and Erik tracked and all got what they wanted! Jake went to F-38s (fighters), Stef to T-1s (heavies) and Erik to helicopters…which means him and Julie will be moving to Fort Rucker, Alabama in three weeks ): Big boo. That night we went to none other than the classy establishment of Applebee’s for dinner-and-delight with Rem, Ash, Stef, Matt, Sarah and I. Friday night was a hot mess of poor choices and joviality. It was the official 10-05 Track Party on base at the Fiesta Center and was a smashing success. “Freedom” is the theme for EVERYTHING around here so we had Freedom Brownies, Freedom Pizza, etc. I brought out the party whistle and the Freedom sweatbands, worn by the Come Back Kids AKA Matt and I. Though we lost all 5 games of beer pong, they were only by the slightest of margins and we always came back from a potentially demoralizing defeat into potential winability…but we lost. From the Track Party we two-stepped over to Diamond Lil’s for drinking and dancing the night away. The music was great, our feet were on fire and drinks abounded. Slay me. It was amazing. We got back to Stonegate around 1.30 and proceeded to have our first of many “Freedom Chats” on Matt’s back patio. Joining us Friday night were J.P., Ashly and Remington. Saturday morning I awoke around 10.30 and put on my suit for an 11 a.m. call time to party at the lake for 10-06’s Solo Party. We convoyed to Lake Amistad at 11.30 and stayed out in the sun, in the water and on the boats until 5. Sunburned and tired, we headed to Will’s house for a homemade bounty of jalapeno poppers, shrimp, steak, corn on the cob, red beans & rice and fudge brownies. The six of us then headed to illustrious Wal*Mart to kill an hour and twenty minutes before the late showing of The Ugly Truth. Among other things, we pushed Will around in a baby seat cart, played Four Square in the toy section (old school rules) and played Supermarket Sweep. Then it was time to get down and sweaty playing BuckHunter and Cruisin’ USA in the Wal*Mart arcade. We then headed to the movies, where I purchased my Butterfly tramp-stamp, rub-on tattoo for a mere 50 cents. The butterfly is a huge hit, let me say. The movie was hysterical and followed by an even better Freedom Chat once again. Sunday was church, Rudy’s with Matt, and moving Matt into Rem and Jake’s apartment. Apparently Del Rio is going on 40 days of triple digit temperatures so it was a little too hot to be moving but whatevs. We did it and ended the night with spaghetti, coloring my new fuzzy board wildlife picture and watching My Best Friend’s Girl. On a scale of one to amazing, the weekend was amazing.
 
People: Got the pleasure of making MORE new friends this week (: Some, like the 45 year old man that asked me out at work and comes by my desk ten times a day, are less welcome than others. Highlight: meeting JESSIE!!!!...Jake’s new lady. She is this incredible med student in Fort Worth, comes from a family of ten and is apparently my cosmic twin/soul mate. Where has she been all my life? Who can say…but we’re together now. And she just MIGHT be joining us in New Braunfels/San Antonio this weekend for camping and river floating. I also got to meet Jake’s mom (Jane – incredible woman) and his oldest brother Jared. LOVE them. Love meeting new people.
 
Whoohoo, it’s time to be done with work! Tonight is running and spin class with Sarah on base and dinner with the gang. Below are some delicious snapshots of the 10-05 Track Party with witty captions. Enjoy.
 
P.S. I love my life. Come visit won’t you?


wedded bliss

my beautiful roommate stefanie

freedom don't come free

rem finally has a woman that is a) beautiful and b) don't take no crap

No comments:

Post a Comment