February 28, 2012

YUM

In an effort to be a little more responsible with my hard-earned cash, I've taken to loosely planning my menu for each week. Loosely, in my case, translates to "Eat out less but still consider Trader Joe's pizza a 'planned meal'". I wouldn't say I enjoy cooking but I especially detest it when cooking only for me (plus scraps for Davy Crock). Since I have a few very special guests coming my way this week, I just planned out my list and am gearing up to make my first crock pot meal (Pioneer Woman's Dr. Pepper Pulled Pork with jalapeno 'slaw).

Tell me this doesn't look UNREAL delicious (via)

But a normal week for me doesn't involve too much scratch cooking like this. I go for a lot of frozen basics I can add veggies to (like Trader Joe's gnocchi), soup or turkey chili and any kind of pasta with Trader Joe's chicken sausage added. I'm seriously addicted to the stuff. The method to my madness is simple - it's got to be quick, easy and relatively healthy. Trader Joe's frozen section is my saving grace most weeks. Before, when I bought fresh fruits and veggies, 75% of them would go to waste since I'd forget I bought them or not use them in time so frozen is my way to go these days.

Every week when I grocery shop I thank my lucky stars I'm not a mom yet. Cooking and meal planning for a family scares the hell out of me - there's got to be variety, nutrition and it has to be edible (not my strong suit). So, I'm learning. I also am soliciting recipes from YOU. If it's quick, a family fave and involves meat and carbohydrates (my two favorite food groups) pass it my way! Either link up in the comments or FB moi. My stomach thanks you in advance.

No comments:

Post a Comment