August 17, 2009

Latest installment of the Dirty Diaries

Mmmm…it’s Monday morning, almost lunchtime here at Val Verde Regional Medical Center. Monday means it’s time for an update. I skipped out on that last week since the weekend was pretty low-key. Let’s just say I wouldn’t want to read a 5 paragraph blog on my own weekend last week. This weekend happened to be another story. Since Matt & I have deemed ourselves the new Social Activity Coordinators in Del Rio, we took it upon ourselves to hatch up a San Antonio weekend (which Rem tried to tag as “his idea”…psssshhh). The plan hung out in the “maybe” stage until Thursday night when we decided to go through with it. Thursday we all converged on White Street on base to pack up Erik and Julie’s UHaul for their big move to Mother Rucker, Alabama. Matt, Sarah and I skipped off in the middle for spin class with Enrique. On the way back we snagged some Dirty Queen for the group and watched the 1986 smash hit “Flight of the Navigator”. It has the worst acting you’ll ever see, outside of Mall Rats, but I fondly remember watching it too many times as a kid. I’m pretty sure it was Sarah Jessica Parker’s first movie – she looks smokin’ hot in it.

Friday was typical at work – insanely busy. That night we headed on base to the Trailer Park (classssssy) for the 10-06 Track Party (Matt & Ashly’s class). I’d tell you about the first two hours of it but it was so boring I’m sure I just sat there with my eyes glazed over crunching on my celery. Fast forward to when Matt & I finally asserted dominance at the BP table and slayed: Ashly & her brother Greg, Rem & some bossy Asian boy, and finally Chris and Cerri. I credit our success to positive thinking, countless high fives, low wind speed, raw talent, and intermittent shots of Goldschläger to keep our breath fresh and our game fresher. The schwangin’ tunage played into the night and the beer overflowed. Stef was our delicious DD for the evening but I give her a 9.5/10 for not taking us to Whataburger on the way home.

Saturday morning we rose and shone and packed our goodies for San Antonio. We escaped the Dirty D around 10 and made our first stop Sea World San Antonio. Gotta love Sea World for their support of our troops. Apparently, Sea World acknowledges Matt, Ashly and Rem as “Heroes” and gave them and their guests free passes. Between the 9 of us who went to Sea World on Saturday, we saved $522. SCHWING. Our afternoon included a beluga whale/dolphin acrobatic show composed of washed up college gymnasts who think it’s entertaining to ride on the backs of captive marine mammals. We got to see Shamu in all his glory (“Believe!). Apparently, Sea World thinks it’s a good idea to put a thousand people in a covered dome (AKA human convection oven) in triple digit temperatures. Death. After that we hit the Great White and Eel Something-or-Other roller coasters…where I almost lost the bottle of Gatorade I smartly chugged before riding. My life was everyone else’s entertainment though. We then headed over to see the Budweiser Clydesdales and then the sharks for Matt’s sake. Major disappointment. They were weak sauce. After Sea World we headed to sushi with Chris and Cerri. Yummmmmmm. I mean, it didn’t give Umi a run for its money but it was preeeeetty tasty. I tried eel…which means I choked it down and tried not to envision the enormous eels we saw three hours before. After that we checked into the hotel (only 0.2 miles from a Starbucks yay!) and headed to Dave & Busters for the most white trash, ghetto night of “fun”. I now understand why my mom never let me go to Chuck-E-Cheese. D & B’s is filthy, stinky, trashy and pretty fun. I slayed demons, shot hoops, dominated skeeball, rocked trivia (when Rem wasn’t present) and used our collective tickets for a kazoo and Nerds rope. Big night.

Sunday morning we slept in and then split the group. The Married Couple headed back to Dirty D to send Greg back to MN and Matt & I did errands galore. Spent an ungodly amount of money at Tar-jhay and hit the jackpot with the complete series of Marty Stouffer’s Wild America for $40. We then headed to Bass Pro Shops (freaking enormous) and I, again, lucked out with my Firefly Lantern – soon to be used at the reservation – for only $9. That’s where the screamin’ deals ended…fate led me to Nordstrom at the Shops at La Cantana where we all know the word “Sale” only exists twice a year. After tinkering around we grabbed lunch at Freebird and headed home. The night ended with a nap to Lonesome Dove, cleaning of my room, watched Marley & Me with Matt and finished my retirement plan paperwork. If I die, Spencer is going to be a rich son of a gun because he’ll come into something like $82,000 as my beneficiary. Whoo hoo!

So that is that my friends. Can it be the weekend again yet??? Pictures to come...

No comments:

Post a Comment