At times, my younger brother and I have joked that we must be Irish twins or something because of how eerily close we are - we finish each others sentences and can generally sense what the other is doing. Though 18 months apart in age, we're about as close as two siblings could get and not be grossly codependent. We despised each other growing up but ended up going to college together and lived 2 floors apart in the dorms. He even braved a household of 5 women for a summer and slept on my dining room floor. When I moved back to the Emerald from Texas, Spence and I got a condo and settled into a happy rhythm until he took up the vagabond's lifestyle in Colorado.
I live life vicariously through Spencer at times. The boy has an unquenchable wanderlust and the spirit of an adventurer and I get giddy when he calls or Skypes to relay his latest and greatest. This weekend I knew he was heading to Vegas for a boy's trip. He called a couple nights ago and all I could make out was, "...some black guys. You can see on Facebook". My interpretation of that was: Sweet! He made friends with some black guys. Pics are on FB. Got it. But as I was making dinner last night, I got a worrisome call from my mom referring to Spencer's Vegas weekend and Facebook. I called him and, turns out, he got two black eyes from a nice little scuffle with his bestie. When you mix booze and Vegas there's really no telling what will come out, am I right? Poor boy thinks his nose may be broken.
Davy Crockett and I must have subconsciously known this happened though. Because yesterday morning she did her damnedest to break my nose so that I'd be in solidarity with Spence. The little twerp got so jazzed to go potty, she rocketed right into my face as I opened the door. Blood and tears were everywhere and vomit threatened to be if I didn't lie down and call my mom to cry (which I did...at 6 am). But somehow the universe must have known his nose was hurting so mine needed to as well. Thanks, Universe. Luckily my glasses hide the bruising but I'm waiting with baited breath to be sure that:
A) It's not broken and
B) I still have the best nose in the Barnes family.
Stay tuned...

Katie you are such a sweet sister, I can only hope my little ones can grow up to be close like you and spencer. (they are 21 months apart). Youch, it looked like it hurt for sure.
ReplyDelete