January 10, 2012

King County Metro: Part II

Remember my bitter diatribe against the King County Metro? Specifically how boofjank their Route 31 drivers are and how I continually get passed over by the bus I ride every single week day at the exact same time?


Welcome to latest installment in the series. 


After a slew of substitute drivers passed me over during the holiday weeks, I decided to start driving my car to work. This has some serious upsides like waking up 45 minutes later, a shorter commute to work, getting home earlier and especially the lack of daily red-hot rage associated with chasing down the bus. But it also had it's downsides - paying $6 a day for parking, gas money to get to work, not scoring my Commuter Bonus and a serious decline in my daily reading. More than anything  I felt like I was disappointing you, my three faithful readers, by not pressing on in my quest to bring justice and a modicum of intelligence to the King County Metro system. 


So, I got back on the bus. And as much as I hate to report, the drivers have stopped for me both days. Why, you ask? Because now I stand on the corner preeeeettttty much looking like this dude (minus the blank expression). 




I begrudgingly took my mom's (and every single bus driver's) advice and have transformed myself into a pre-dawn beacon of light on Thorndyke Avenue. My former rationale shunned taking extra measures to draw attention at my shady bus stop simply because I'm stubborn. Buses should stop for you - that's their job. So why should I flag one down like an idiot every day just to get them to do their job? Regardless, I swallowed my pride and have been getting picked up without incident. Whereas before every driver made me feel like I was standing motionless in the inky blackness looking like this guy:






They now pick me up because I've got these guys!




Though I originally questioned my mom's judgement on this purchase (they're for a bike...which I don't own) they've been a lifesaver. Container Store Flashing Bike Lights will most definitely blind you. But seriously, these little guys pack a punch. With the click of a button they strobe brighter and faster than lights at a GirlTalk show, have three speeds and they fit right on my key chain. Thanks to mom's holiday-induced brain fart, the price tag was left on so I can happily inform you they're only $2.99 if you want to score a pair. 






If you know Robb Barnes (aka Dad) in any fashion, this next apparatus won't surprise you. A SureFire flashlight. This company doesn't refer to these as just a flashlight. No, they're "tactical illumination tools with optimal beams" that even include sharp bezels on some models to strike attackers as your "last line of defense". Of course Dad couldn't get me any old flashlight. It had to be a multi-purpose tool primarily used by law enforcement, military and firefighters...JUST what I need. The kicker is that these babies range from $59 to  $695. Six hundred ninety-five dollarsssssss. For an illumination device. I'm not complaining though, it's awesome (much like Robb Barnes) and gets the job done. 


It's only been two days since I've been back on the Metro and so far, so good. Don't worry though, I'm still in the process of hassling the City of Seattle for a light at my bus stop and think I just might win now that I have the Seattle Children's Commuter Services department behind me. Now I just need to figure out how to make every STANKY Seattle bum who eats ranch packets with their finger STOP choosing the empty seat next to me. But that's a whole other blog post...

1 comment:

  1. You kill me, i now want to grab some ranch and head up to your stop :) See if you can pick me out, i WILL disguise myself :)

    ReplyDelete