January 19, 2012

I Guess I'm Gonna Be a Nurse...

And by "I guess" I mean I am

Yesterday I saw one of my longest running dreams come to fruition. I've wanted to be a nurse my entire life but got talked out of it in college by a silver-tongued adviser. Five years later I have a Biology degree figuratively collecting dust and my resume is like an occupational island of misfit toys. So two years ago I started saying was going to go in earnest. I knew the classes I needed to take, researched Accelerated programs (you get your RN in a year since you already have a Bachelor's) and just didn't do it

Then this summer, something snapped. I got tired of hearing myself do a lot of talking and zero doingt. I started making my quarterly To Do lists and actually took my classes and applied to four nursing schools in Portland, Charleston, New Orleans and Omaha. To me, it felt like a complete shot in the dark but yesterday I got the best news ever...Creighton University wants me! As soon as I heard I burst into tears, locked myself in the office breastfeeding room and called my dad. To be honest, I never could have done any of this without my parents. They've been my biggest cheerleaders, fiercest advocates and have dreamed big with me over the years and this is just as much their victory as it is mine.



On the drive home from work I just couldn't stop the tears realizing that all my little wishes and dreams are finally coming true in a big way. I have a month to decide on Creighton or take the risk of saying no to see if I get into any other schools. This whole experience is going to be a huge leap of faith but I'm up for the challenge. And throughout the day, I still find myself murmuring my Carrie Underwood inspired prayer of gratitude, "Thank God even crazy dreams come true."

4 comments:

  1. So happy for you! What an answer to prayer. You will be an amazing nurse and bless your patients in so many ways.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So fantastic! Good for you for following your dream.

    ReplyDelete
  3. JUST READ!!! how awesome!! looking forward to having you join us in THE GOOD LIFE :) congratulations!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Creighton University wants me!....of course they do..they want winners..
    it's a big world and your going to take it the KT way...dreams to a target..target to reality...pleased to know you for a little while along the way.......never yield.
    congratulations

    ReplyDelete